Steelers quarterback Mason Rudolph strongly denied on Saturday the continued assertion by Cleveland Browns defensive end Myles Garrett’s that Rudolph uttered a racial slur before Garrett assaulted him with his own helmet in an altercation in the waning moments of the teams’ game at Cleveland on Nov. 14, 2019.
Garrett, who was reinstated by the NFL earlier this week, went on ESPN’s Outside the Lines and accused Rudolph of using a racial slur for a second time.
“He called me the N-word,” Garrett said to ESPN’s Mina Kimes. “He called me a ‘stupid N-word.’”
Saturday, Rudolph responded, denying the allegation.
“1000% False,” Rudolph wrote on Twitter on Saturday morning. “Bold-Faced Lie. I did not, have not, and would not utter a racial-slur. This is a disgusting and reckless attempt to assassinate my character.”
I did not, have not, and would not utter a racial-slur.
This is a disgusting and reckless attempt to assassinate my character. https://t.co/mZcEcC0tCl
— Mason Rudolph (@Rudolph2Mason) February 15, 2020
Rudolph’s denial came moments after an equally strongly worded rebuttal from Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin.
Rudolph’s agent, Timothy Younger of Younger & Associates, called the claim “ludicrous” and threatened legal action against Garrett.
— Younger & Associates/QB Limited (@YoungerAssoc) February 15, 2020
While Garrett’s reinstatement and the upholding of Rudolph’s $50,000 fine for his part in the incident have ended the drama from the league’s perspective, it seems the battle of he-said, he-said is going to continue to play out throughout the offseason.