With the viability of Sunday’s rescheduled game between Pittsburgh and Baltimore still in question, the Steelers are pressing pause on their Friday practice until more information becomes available.
According to Steelers Director of Communications Burt Lauten, the team is taking a wait-and-see approach with regards to today’s session, as it is still unclear if will the game can be played.
Originally scheduled for Thanksgiving night, the game had to be rescheduled for 1:15 p.m. on Sunday as the COVID-19 outbreak amongst the Ravens organization intensified.
With the number of confirmed positive cases growing, which includes quarterback Lamar Jackson, the outbreak appears far from contained.
As the NFL debates how to press on with the key divisional matchup, they seem to have four clear-cut options.
First, they could play the game as rescheduled this Sunday.
The league could also look to postpone it further to Monday or Tuesday, but that would also result in the postponement of the Ravens’ Thursday night game with the Dallas Cowboys on Dec. 3.
As has been discussed as a contingency all season in such circumstances as these, the league could postpone the game further down the road, creating a Week 18 prior to the start of the playoffs.
Lastly, Baltimore could be forced to forfeit that game, which would hand the Steelers their eleventh win of the season, but rob players on both clubs of a game check.
A decision by the league is expected sometime over the next 36 hours.