The Pittsburgh Steelers have released longtime starting right guard David DeCastro, the team announced on Thursday.
DeCastro, 31, had been with the Steelers since the team selected him in the first round of the 2012 NFL Draft. He played in 125 games with the Steelers over 10 seasons. He was a three-time All-Pro selection and a six-time Pro Bowler, including in 2020.
DeCasto had been bothered by a knee injury suffered in training camp last season, and did not participate in the team’s mandatory three-day minicamp last week, though head coach Mike Tomlin said that the team had no significant injury issues and that all absences had been excused.
“David was without a doubt one of the premier offensive linemen during his time with us,” general manager Kevin Colbert said in a press release. “He helped us win a lot of football games, but it was David’s consistency, reliability and professionalism that stood out more than anything else. We wish him the best moving forward in his career.”
DeCastro was set to count for $14.2975 million toward the Steelers’ salary cap under the final year of a five-year contract. His release will save the team $8.75 million, while creating a $5.5475 million dead salary cap hit.
Free agent signings Rashad Coward, B.J. Finney and Joe Haeg are the three players on the roster that could be expected to replace DeCastro at right guard. The Steelers also recently hosted free agent Trai Turner for a visit.