Connect with us

Steelers News & Transactions

Steelers Sign Ben Roethlisberger to Three-Year Extension Through 2021

Published

on

Ben Roethlisberger drops back versus the Cincinnati Bengals. -- ED THOMPSON
Ben Roethlisberger drops back versus the Cincinnati Bengals. -- ED THOMPSON

The Pittsburgh Steelers have extended the contract of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger through the 2021 season, securing the services of the team’s franchise quarterback for three more years.

“Ben is one of the most productive quarterbacks in NFL history, and he continued to climb the lists among the all-time passing leaders in the league last season,” Steelers president Art Rooney II said in a release. “But I know Ben’s focus is on only one goal – to bring another Lombardi trophy back to Pittsburgh. We are excited to finalize this new contract that will keep him as a Steeler through the 2021 season.”

The financial details of the contract have not yet been disclosed. Roethlisberger was set to make $6.2 million in 2019, which was the final season of a four-year, $87-million contract extension he signed in 2015.

Roethlisberger, 37, is coming off one of his most productive passing seasons. He threw for career highs in completions (452), attempts (675), yards (5,129) and touchdowns (34). He led the NFL in passing yards for the second time in his career.

“I am grateful to the Rooneys and the Steelers organization for continuing to believe in me,” Roethlisberger said. “It has always been a goal to play my entire career in Pittsburgh. This is home for me and my family, and we love this city. I am as excited to be a Steeler in year 16 as I was when they drafted me. They will get my absolute best.”

Drafted 15 years ago to the date of his extension signing, Roethlisberger is already the longest-tenured starting quarterback in Steelers history. He owns the franchise record for quarterback starts (214) and wins (144).

Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette first tweeted the news Wednesday morning.

Steelers News & Transactions

Report: Mike Hilton Signs Second-Round Tender

Published

on

Pittsburgh Steelers defensive back Mike Hilton has signed his 2nd-round tender, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

The 26-year-old cornerback started eight games and appeared in all 16, recording 62 tackles, 11 passes defensed, 1.5 sacks and one interception, an improvement in most categories from his first two years in Pittsburgh. Undrafted out of Mississippi, Hilton was signed by the Steelers in December of 2016 after being cut by the Jaguars and Patriots.

The Steelers placed second-round tenders on both Hilton and tackle Matt Feiler, who reportedly signed his earlier in the day. The tenders were worth $3.259 million in 2020.

Continue Reading

Steelers News & Transactions

Report: Steelers Re-Signing RFA OT Matt Feiler

Published

on

Restricted free agent offensive tackle is signing his second-round restricted free agent tender with the Steelers, according to a report by ESPN’s Dan Graziano.

The tender contract, offered to Feiler back in March, is worth $3.259 million.

Bringing back Feiler — who started all 16 games in 2019 — adds much needed depth and experience to an older Steelers offensive line that is also trying to replace the recently retired Ramon Foster. Pittsburgh also added former Kansas City Chiefs guard Stefen Wisniewski this offseason in free agency.

Feiler was ranked as the 20th-best tackle in the league for his performance last season.

Had another club signed Feiler to an offer sheet and the Steeler chose not to match, they would have received that team’s 2021 second round pick as compensation.

Undrafted out of Bloomsburg University in 2014, Feiler has realistically spent his entire career in Pittsburgh, aside from a short stint with the Texans.

With Feiler locked up, the Steelers now await starting slot cornerback Mike Hilton’s decision, who they also placed the second-round tender on.

Continue Reading

Steelers

Report: Steelers to Hold Training Camp at Team Facility, Not at Saint Vincent College

Published

on

It looks like the Steelers will be staying home for training camp this August.

According to a report by ESPN’s Adam Schefter on Tuesday, the league has informed teams that they must hold training camp at their facilities later this summer in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Steelers will now be conducting training camp on the South Side, instead of their traditional summer home of Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, snapping a 54-year streak.

The league still plans for training camp to begin on time, but has made no announcement on changes to the season or whether games will have fans.

Continue Reading

Steelers Now in Your Mailbox!

Enter your email address to subscribe and get notifications of new posts in your mailbox.

Moon Golf

Copyright © 2020 Pittsburgh Sports Now / Steelers Now. In no way affiliated with or endorsed by the Pittsburgh Steelers or NFL.

Steelers Now in your Inbox

Sign up and get all of our posts sent directly to your inbox!

Thank you!

Oops!

Send this to a friend