Trevor Lawrence Shuts Down Steelers Trade Rumors: ‘I’m Not Going to Pittsburgh’

Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Trevor Lawrence shut down any belief that he's going to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Jaguars QB Trevor Lawrence steelers playoff
Jaguars QB Trevor Lawrence against the Steelers, Oct. 29, 2023 - Ed Thompson / Steelers Now

A bombshell report dropped last week that said the Pittsburgh Steelers inquired the Jacksonville Jaguars about trading for former No. 1 overall quarterback Trevor Lawrence. Several reports have since shut down that idea, but Lawrence felt it was best to put it rest for good on Monday.

“I have a no-trade clause in my contract, so I would know about it if I was getting traded or that was something that was going to happen. I’d have to be on board with it, which I’m not. I’m happy here in Jacksonville. We want to win a Super Bowl here and I think we can do that. I don’t want to leave Jacksonville,” Lawrence said on “Up & Adams.” “I’m not going to Pittsburgh.”

It’s no secret the Steelers have been searching for their next franchise quarterback since Ben Roethlisberger retired following the 2021 season. They have since had five different starting quarterbacks — Russell Wilson, Justin Fields, Mason Rudolph, Kenny Pickett and Mitchell Trubisky.

However, it would have been very surprising if the Jaguars would have even entertained the idea of trading their franchise quarterback, even if he is coming off a bit of a disappointing season.

The 25-year-old threw for just 2,045 yards, 11 touchdowns and seven interceptions in 10 games in 2024, missing time with both an AC joint sprain in his left shoulder and a concussion.

Pittsburgh Steelers Jacksonville Jaguars Trevor Lawrence
Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Trevor Lawrence in a game against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Oct. 29, 2023. — Ed Thompson / Steelers Now

Another reason why it was hard to believe the Jaguars would consider trading Lawrence was because he just signed a five-year, $275 million contract extension last offseason, which includes a no-trade clause.

The Jaguars don’t even have a general manager at the moment to make that kind of deal. That’s why Lawrence was never worried about heading North this offseason.

“I didn’t really see anything. My agent texted me, and said, ‘Hey, this is the report that’s out there. I don’t think there’s anything to it, but I’ll check into it,'” Lawrence said. “I think my agent reached out to Adam Schefter and was just like, ‘Hear anything about this?’ Because we don’t have a G.M. Liam (Cohen) actually texted me the day after it came out and said, ‘Shouldn’t even have to say this but it’s not coming from us.’ So I was like, ‘Yeah, I figured.’ So we’re all good. He didn’t even have to send that. There was no doubt on my side.”

It remains to be seen if there’s truth to the Steelers inquiring about Lawrence. But either way, it seems like they are going to have to look elsewhere to find their next franchise quarterback in what should be yet another eventful offseason.

Mentioned In This Article:
2What do you think?Post a comment.