Connect with us

Steelers News

Why Did the Steelers Game Get Delayed?



Steelers Cardinals

PITTSBURGH — The Steelers and Cardinals game is being delayed once again after severe weather and lightning in the area came about. During halftime, the game was postponed for 45 minutes as the severe weather, along with massive wind gusts, caused the teams to stay in the locker rooms. Now, with no end to the rain and lightning, the game has been delayed for another 45 minutes. The game is approximately scheduled to resume round 4:30 p.m.

Players returned to the field around 3:05 p.m. to warm up after first deal. They have yet to return to the field following the second delay.

The potential for severe weather was highlighted throughout the week. Now, the Steelers and Cardinals are delayed and will play until the game is finished. Pittsburgh trails 17-3 at the half. All players, fans, and stadium personnel went undercover to avoid the danger of lightning. NFL teams will play through the rain as long as there is no lightning, but the storms in the area have proved too treacherous for the game to be played.

The wind has reached as much as 20 miles per hour during the storm, with pylons and other equipment flying around the field at different points. Pittsburgh and Arizona will work with league protocols, which state there has to be no danger of lightning in the area before the players take the field again.

The Steelers currently trail the Cardinals 17-3 without quarterback Kenny Pickett. Mitch Trubisky is in the game trying to lead the Steelers back. Pickett suffered a knee injury against the Houston Texans in Week 4 and a rib injury against the Jacksonville Jaguars in Week 8. Both times, Pickett was able to return to action the following week, but both were normal-length weeks.

As for the weather, fans have already started shuffling out of the stadium, with the weather only getting worse throughout the afternoon. With the return of play unknown to this point, the Steelers and Cardinals must stay ready to play on a slippery surface. The field was tended to over the week, with new sod being placed down on the field following the WPIAL Championships and the conclusion of Pitt’s season.